Music, Money and The Recording Artist.
v 5 min. – Warm Up
1. Have questions on the board that review Monday’s lesson. Students will silently complete the question as it as I take attendance.
§ Is it possible for everybody to get what they are looking for in a negotiation?
v 10 min. –Mogul of the Day- Introduction to Clive Davis
1. Video Interview with Clive David -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjBVTBV2Qiw
2. Discuss Why Clive Davis is considered a Mogul
v 30 min. – Teachings
1. How to Sell 1 Million Albums and Owe $500,000 Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwgdB0NltY
2. Discuss 8 Key Record Deal Clauses That Will Affect an Artists’ Bottom Line
v 40 min. – Group Activity “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Choose You Partner (Record Label vs. Artist)
2. Negotiate the 8 Clauses That Were Taught
3. Agree on all 8 Clauses and each party signs off on the deal
v 15 min. – Group Presentations
1. Each Group Will Present their Finding to The Class
v 5 min. – Closing / Shape Up Review/ Homework
1. Closing – Discuss Finding as a class
v 10min. – Technology Time
1. Have questions on the board that review Monday’s lesson. Students should silently complete them as you take attendance. Suggested examples:
· How can I understand what to ask for in a negotiation?
v 15 min. – Introduction / The Most Important Points In Every Recording Contract – The TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES
1. Read Billboard Article on Frank Ocean Earnings.
2. Connect Negotiation Skills from Monday to the Article and Discuss
3. Pass out Handouts and Textbooks.
v 40 min. – Teaching Time
1. Jigsaw reading and teaching.
2. Q&A on Important THE TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY Clauses
v 15 min. – Group Planning Time for Weekly Project
1. Work in group to analyze how the different Terms and Royalties are important in a Record Deal.
v 10 min. – Closing / Homework
1. Homework – Shape Up Review / Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
v 20 min. – Chart Talk Video
1. Watch Billboard Top 50 Songs and Top 20 Album YouTube & Discuss. Suggested examples:
§ Which Royalty stream are attached to What Chart?
v 20 min. – Review Important Provisions of Songwriter/Publisher Contracts for Quiz
1. Discuss & Review Notes of The Term & Artist Royalty Clauses
2. Review for Weekly Quiz
v 50 min. – Start Weekly Project – “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Choose a partner
2. Look at the Term & Artist Royalty Clauses that we have studied.
3. On a Poster Board, LIST OUT EACH TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSE
4. Negotiate each clause. List your conclusions on the poster board.
5 mins – Closing / Homework
Shape Up Review – Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
|Tune Up Thursday
v 20 min. – Bellwork
1. Review TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES and prepare for quiz on Friday
2. Answer any questions.
Complete Weekly Project
v 75 min. – Graffiti Walk- “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Review the conclusions from Wednesday negotiation with discuss them your partner.
2. Hang each poster board up around the room
3. Spend 7 mins giving at each poster giving constructive advice on their findings and where they could’ve added something.
4. When you get back to your own poster, review the comments make any necessary adjustments.
v 5 min. – NO Shape Up Review/ Closing / Homework
1. Homework – Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
v 7 min. – Bellwork – Study for Quiz
1. Students study silently for Quiz while I take the attendance.
v 30 min. – Quiz 2 on The Term & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES
v 55 min. – Guest Speaker – Keisha Perry (Entertainment Attorney for Plies).
v 5 min. – Closing