|What are the students learning?
· Monday: Holiday
· Tuesday: Examine the contractual structure of an Artist & Production Company Agreement.
· Wednesday: Deeply explore the complexities of an Artist & Production Company thru Weekly Group Project.
· Thursday: Continue practical application of knowledge explored earlier in the week.
· Friday: Assessment of Artist & Production Company Agreement.
|How will the students learn?
Detail of activities / strategies used to engaged students:
o Warm Up: QOTD: What does Organizational Structure look like in your daily life (personal and school)?
o Opening: Read an article regarding Artist & Productions Agreement. Discuss with students this complex and necessary part of the music business.
o Work Session –
§ Instruction (I do): Introduced students to the Terms – Artist & Production Company Agreement deals through teaching and discussion. Distribute (OneNotebook Content Library) Weekly notes.
§ Guided Practice (We do): Read through the weekly notes along with the students. Define key terms and examples.
§ Independent Practice (You do): Students must read the notes and highlight key terms and examples that will be on the weekly assessment quiz on Friday. Students will pair up to maximize learning.
o Closing: Answer any questions students may have on the terms.
o Warm Up: QOTD – What are the responsibilities of the Students and Pebblebrook High School and how are they similar to the responsibilities of an Artist & Production Agreement?
o Opening: Watch Video – Billboard Top 50 Songs of the Week
o Work Session –
§ Instruction (I do): Introduce Weekly Group Project for Artist & Production Company. Work through an example of an album budget for the class.
§ Guided Practice (We do): Go through the rubric together and discuss any clarifying questions. Allow the students, as a class work on a budget on a sample album.
§ Independent Practice (You do): Student will pair up and being to work on an actual album budget to prepare it for a release.
o Closing: Students will show me their progress to ensure they are working in the right direction.
o Warm Up: Answer QOTD – What expenses does Pebblebrook incur and how are they similar to the expenses that a Production Company will take on with furnishing an artist?
o Opening: Review Terms and warm up question. Allow students time to discuss the challenges of Artist & Production Company Agreements.
o Work Session –
§ Instruction (I do): Prepare for Weekly Assessment Quiz.
§ Guided Practice (We do): Allow the students to prepare quiz questions for me to answer regarding Weekly Quiz on Artist & Production Company Agreements.
§ Independent Practice (You do): Students will work on project in groups.
o Closing: Students will be reminded that projects are due tomorrow as well as their weekly quiz.
o Warm Up: None as students will finalize projects and prepare for their weekly assessment.
o Opening: Review any items students need clarified before the test.
o Work Session –
§ Instruction (I do): Explain the day’s activities, including sharing of group projects and time allotted for the assessment.
§ Guided Practice (We do): Students will briefly present their projects to the class.
§ Independent Practice (You do): Students will be given the weekly assessment and will complete independently.
o Closing: Exit Ticket (In OneNotebook): Explain what you’ve learned regarding how Pebblebrook acts in the same manner of a Production Company.
Music, Money and The Recording Artist.
v 5 min. – Warm Up
1. Have questions on the board that review Monday’s lesson. Students will silently complete the question as it as I take attendance.
§ Is it possible for everybody to get what they are looking for in a negotiation?
v 10 min. –Mogul of the Day- Introduction to Clive Davis
1. Video Interview with Clive David -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjBVTBV2Qiw
2. Discuss Why Clive Davis is considered a Mogul
v 30 min. – Teachings
1. How to Sell 1 Million Albums and Owe $500,000 Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwgdB0NltY
2. Discuss 8 Key Record Deal Clauses That Will Affect an Artists’ Bottom Line
v 40 min. – Group Activity “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Choose You Partner (Record Label vs. Artist)
2. Negotiate the 8 Clauses That Were Taught
3. Agree on all 8 Clauses and each party signs off on the deal
v 15 min. – Group Presentations
1. Each Group Will Present their Finding to The Class
v 5 min. – Closing / Shape Up Review/ Homework
1. Closing – Discuss Finding as a class
v 10min. – Technology Time
1. Have questions on the board that review Monday’s lesson. Students should silently complete them as you take attendance. Suggested examples:
· How can I understand what to ask for in a negotiation?
v 15 min. – Introduction / The Most Important Points In Every Recording Contract – The TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES
1. Read Billboard Article on Frank Ocean Earnings.
2. Connect Negotiation Skills from Monday to the Article and Discuss
3. Pass out Handouts and Textbooks.
v 40 min. – Teaching Time
1. Jigsaw reading and teaching.
2. Q&A on Important THE TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY Clauses
v 15 min. – Group Planning Time for Weekly Project
1. Work in group to analyze how the different Terms and Royalties are important in a Record Deal.
v 10 min. – Closing / Homework
1. Homework – Shape Up Review / Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
v 20 min. – Chart Talk Video
1. Watch Billboard Top 50 Songs and Top 20 Album YouTube & Discuss. Suggested examples:
§ Which Royalty stream are attached to What Chart?
v 20 min. – Review Important Provisions of Songwriter/Publisher Contracts for Quiz
1. Discuss & Review Notes of The Term & Artist Royalty Clauses
2. Review for Weekly Quiz
v 50 min. – Start Weekly Project – “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Choose a partner
2. Look at the Term & Artist Royalty Clauses that we have studied.
3. On a Poster Board, LIST OUT EACH TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSE
4. Negotiate each clause. List your conclusions on the poster board.
5 mins – Closing / Homework
Shape Up Review – Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
|Tune Up Thursday
v 20 min. – Bellwork
1. Review TERM & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES and prepare for quiz on Friday
2. Answer any questions.
Complete Weekly Project
v 75 min. – Graffiti Walk- “Negotiating The Deal”
1. Review the conclusions from Wednesday negotiation with discuss them your partner.
2. Hang each poster board up around the room
3. Spend 7 mins giving at each poster giving constructive advice on their findings and where they could’ve added something.
4. When you get back to your own poster, review the comments make any necessary adjustments.
v 5 min. – NO Shape Up Review/ Closing / Homework
1. Homework – Remind students to study for quiz on Friday
v 7 min. – Bellwork – Study for Quiz
1. Students study silently for Quiz while I take the attendance.
v 30 min. – Quiz 2 on The Term & ARTIST ROYALTY CLAUSES
v 55 min. – Guest Speaker – Keisha Perry (Entertainment Attorney for Plies).
v 5 min. – Closing